Friday, May 16, 2008

The trials of painting

Let me begin by saying that I am terrible choosing paint colors. It's not that there are not colors out there that I think are beautiful, but I have a hard time picking colors that coordinate and flow well throughout the house. I spent two or three entire days painting my living room before Christmas. This past weekend and into the early part of this week, I spent more time painting. I repainted the entire living room because the color I chose for the entryway looked horrible against the colors in the living room. I finally decided on a color for the Kitchen after five or six tries. I painted the hallway upstairs the same color as the entryway and Mark and I painted one red accent wall in the media room. Needless to say, I am sick of painting. I have learned a valuable lesson from all of this though. I prefer color to white walls but I am not a bright color person. Mostly I just like to stick to neutrals.

This is a shot of the walls I painted before Christmas. After painting the entryway, they looked too grayish greenish for my liking.


I went with a Chocolate Brown (Eddie Bauer's Bittersweet)on the big wall and used the entryway color on the side walls. I left the upper part of the side walls beige.

The blah color in the kitchen from before Christmas

I really wanted to find a yellow for the kitchen that would flow well with the living room and match the cabinets and table. After trying out a variety of crazy yellows, I decided on Martha Stewart's Apple basket which I just love.
P.S. Aren't those roses on the table beautiful? They were Mark's gift to me for Mother's day.


So, finally, I am completely satisfied with all the colors I have chosen for downstairs. Now I can hangs some pictures and start decorating.

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

wow- I love it! Good thing you are picky- it has paid off. your house is beautiful!