Friday, January 2, 2009

Starting off on the right foot (I hope)


Before Christmas Mark told me that it was time to take Sarah's binky away. The main reason is this...

Her teeth are terrible and getting worse. However, the thought of doing such a thing scared me to death and I pleaded with Mark to give me until the beginning of the year. Needless to say, January first came very fast. Mark informed me that it was really time and no more binkies from here on out. He told Sarah the same thing and promised her all sorts of toys and treats if she would just go to sleep without her binky. Sarah quickly agreed but it wasn't long before she was screaming for her binky. I told her I would try to find it for her so I did this to every binky I had left in the house.

Believe me, I had tears in my eyes as I cut the tips right off. I knew I had to commit right then and there because I wasn't going out to buy more. I went back to Sarah's room and informed her that I found her binkies but they were broken. After all the screaming and crying, she calmly looked at the binkies and said, "I don't want that binky. I will try to fix it in the morning." She had closure and we did not hear one more word from her the rest of the night. She brought the binkies down this morning, showed them to her daddy and threw them away. The End.

3 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

I feel your pain. My Addie was a HUGE binky baby. I kept talking about taking her binky away (for the same reasons, her teeth) but never really took the steps to take it away. One weekend we went to Nauvoo and my sister watched our kids for us and while we were gone, she just never gave Addie the binky. So when I got back (2 days later) Addie was broken from her binky! It was SO nice!! And my sister said she didn't even ask for it or fight about it, and I think that's because it was someone other than me taking it away. I'm glad it's workd so good for you. What a pleasant surprise!!

*. Th3 BoW3n FamiLy.* said...

your such a sweet mom Lake :) I bet that was hard! I am just glad that for now Ethan wont take them anymore... I pray it will be that easy from then on out with our other kids.

Neal Davis Family Blog said...

Hayden has been without his for awhile and I still miss it! I cut his binky. He thought it was funny that he could stick his finger through! Good luck! It was pretty hard for me!